This is a delicious summer salad full of flavor and crisp color. You can vary the ingredients to include your favorite vegetables. I included fresh summer tomatoes and crunchy corn, along with carrots and cucumber. Sliced grapes could be a great addition if you want a hint of sweet flavor! Also, I use raw corn in this recipe, if you haven’t tried this before, don’t worry – it tastes almost exactly like cooked corn with a little extra crunch. Fresh, sweet corn can be such a treat straight off the cob! The dressing adds a tart richness and is semi-creamy in consistency due to the mustard.
Besides roasting a chicken whole, this is my favorite way to prepare chicken breast – it’s a quick method that keeps the chicken moist and flavorful. I use an oven-proof skillet but you can also use a regular skillet and then transfer to a baking sheet to finish the chicken. If you don’t have a cast-iron oven skillet I highly suggest getting one – they are so useful and pretty inexpensive
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 skinless chicken breasts, rinsed, trimmed and patted dry
- Steak seasoning or coarse S/P
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic
- A few sprigs fresh thyme (or other fresh herb)
- 2 ears fresh corn, husks and silk removed, sliced off the cob
- 1 pound arugula or one large head romaine or green leaf lettuce
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced into wedges
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1 large cucumber, sliced
- Blue cheese for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a large oven-proof skillet on medium-high. Season chicken with a generous amount of steak seasoning or S/P. Cook the chicken for about 2 minutes on each side until you get a golden brown sear on each side. Transfer to oven and cook until opaque throughout, about 5 minutes, depending on the thickness of the breasts.
- While the chicken cooks, prepare your salad dressing by combining the mustard, olive oil, balsamic, and thyme in a mason jar, or other closed lid container. Season with S/P. Shake well and taste. Adjust if needed and set aside.
- Prepare your salad by combining all the vegetables and tossing.
- Once the chicken is cooked, let rest a few minutes while you plate the salad and toss with the dressing. Place sliced chicken on top of the salad, garnish with cheese and serve immediately.
Recipe source: Original
Time: 20 minutes