I just started cooking with Tempeh & love the versatility. This is a great recipe because the Tempeh remains moist.
- Canola or olive oil
- 1 pkg tempeh – 5 grain or pref. coconut curry flavor
- soy sauce
- 1 can water chesnuts
- green beans, cut into thirds w/trimmed ends
- 2/3 cup light coconut milk
- 2 tbs. peanut butter
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp. dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp. chile garlic sauce
- Crushed peanuts
- Tomatoes, lime, cilantro to garnish if so inclined
- Heat about 1 tsp. oil in wok or large skillet over medium heat. Add tempeh, sear each side a few minutes. Add 1/2 cup water and 5 tsp. soy sauce. Cook tempeh until all liquid is absorbed, turning occasionally. Transfer to plate, let cool and crumble into bite size chunks.
- Heat another tsp. oil in wok, stir-fry green beans until begin to brown. Add a few tbs. water and simmer until tender but still crisp.
- Add coconut milk, water chesnuts, peanut butter, garlic, brown sugar, chile-garlic sauce, 4 tsp. soy sauce, and crumbled tempeh. Stir-fry 2 minutes.
- Garnish with crushed peanuts.
- Serving suggestions: I eat this alone but you can serve w/rice noodles or rice also. I always have on hand tomatoes – I top this recipe with tomatoes and cilantro and serve with lime.