These are perfect to bake for a loved one with wheat allergies or other special diet needs. This was the first time I worked without flour and they were surprisingly good. Chewy in the middle and crunchy at the edges. Recipe from Martha Stewart Food Everyday. You can add nuts…but you’ll never find them in my sweet recipes 😉
- 3 cups confectioners’ (powder) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 ounces chopped bittersweet chocolate
- 3/4 cup Dutch cocoa powder (spooned and leveled)
- 4 large egg whites, room temp
- Preheat oven to 325. In a lrg. bowl, whisk together sugar, cocoa, and salt. Stir in chocolate chunks and nuts if using. Add egg whites and stir just until incorporated (do not overmix).
- Drop dough by spoonful, 3 inches apart onto greased or parchment lined baking sheets. Bake until cookie tops are crackled and dry, about 25 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Let cool (on wire cookie racks if you have) and sprinkle lightly with powder sugar.