I have to admit … I’m a big fan of meatballs. They’re good on pasta, salad, rice … you name it! I also roast a lot of veggies because this is the only way I can get my husband to eat things like peppers and tomatoes, which he doesn’t like raw. Thus, this salad combines both meatballs and roasted veggies. This makes 2-3 large servings. Double for a family of four.
- 2 red or orange peppers
- Red onion
- 1.5 pd ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 2 pieces whole wheat bread
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 scallions/green onions
- Pulse bread in a food processor until crumbs form. Combine with a generous helping of parsley & the garlic cloves, until parsley/garlic chopped & bread crumbs fine.
- In large bowl, combine turkey, chopped scallions, egg, S/P, and breadcrumb/parsley mixture.
- Form small meatballs (about 2 tablespoon in size) and arrange on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment or foil.
- Slice peppers in long strips and place next to meatballs. Drizzle olive oil over everything and season peppers lightly with S/P.
- Broil on high (about 4-5 inches from heat) about 10-12 minutes until peppers & meatballs are cooked through. Toss peppers & turn meatballs at least once.
- Dress lettuce with a quick dressing of olive oil, red wine vinegar, and Dijon mustard. Top with peppers, raw red onion, meatballs and shaved Parmesan.
ABOUT TO GO UNDER BROILER: