This is a healthy salad that is a bit different than the same ol’ bowl of greens. I love the contrast between the salty feta and sweet raisins. Goat cheese would also be great in place of the feta. This is a vegan recipe minus the cheese. It is loaded with veggie power and is tasty to boot. I served as a main dish for lunch but you could also make it a side dish.
While I love squash, I hate peeling and cutting squash – I almost always knick myself! So, be very careful and I highly suggest using a very sharp knife. This is a good tutorial on peeling/cubing squash.
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups prepared rice (you can use any variety you choose)
- about 4 cups spinach, washed and dried
- feta cheese, to taste
- yellow raisins, to taste
- Olive oil
- While you cook the rice, prepare the squash. Once it is cubed, place in a steamer basket and steam until a toothpick can slide through the squash easily, about 10-15 minutes.
- Place the rice and squash into a large bowl and mix. Add your spinach and mix. If you want your spinach a bit more cooked, place a cover over the bowl to let the steam from the rice and spinach wilt the leaves.
- Then, put as much feta cheese and raisins as you like. They are really the “accents” of the dish so you probably don’t want to over do it but you also want to taste them throughout.
- Last, season lightly with a dash of olive oil and S/P.
- Toss and serve.
Time: ~30 minutes.
Recipe Source: Original.