These cookies are heavenly. Really. Soft, fudge center with crispy edges and chewy coconut spiked with sweet pillows of soft cherries. Perfect with a glass of cold milk!
These will be featured in the Atlanta National Food Bloggers Bake Sale taking place tomorrow morning at Cabbagetown Market. Go and Get ‘Em!
- 2.5 cups chocolate chips or about 9 ounces chopped chocolate (I do a mix of milk and bittersweet chips)
- one 7-ounce bag of sweetened flaked coconut
- 1.5 cups dried cherries
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1/4 cup strained Dark Special cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups superfine sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Position the shelves to the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
- Line your cookie sheets with parchment (use a dab of butter on the corners to help stick).
- Strain together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl set over simmering water, melt the butter. Keep the temp on low.
- Add the chocolate in parts so it just melts, gently stirring. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with an electric mixer on medium until light. Gradually add the sugar, taking a few minutes.
- Stop the mixer and pour in the warm melted chocolate, then mix on medium until combined. Add the vanilla extract.
- Reduce the mixer to low and add the dry ingredients. Let the batter rest for about 5 minutes, or until it begins to thicken.
- Sprinkle handfuls of coconut over the batter, folding in. Do not combine thoroughly; it’s ok if coconut is visible. Do the same with the cherries.
- Drop by heaping teaspoons onto the cookies sheets, about 2 inches apart. You can do big cookies too, just remember they spread so give them room. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the tops are just set, but the cookies are still soft to the touch. This ensures they are soft in the middle but will firm around the edges.
- Rotate the sheets from top to bottom and front to back toward the end of baking time. Let stand for a minute or two and then transfer to cooling racks.
Serves: ~ 4 dozen cookies
Recipe source: Original
Time: ~40 minutes prep & baking