- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 lemon
- 2 pds. spinach, washed and tough stems removed
- Dash sugar
- Prepare the spinach, keep in a colander – do not dry.
- Pour the cream into a large saucepan and add 2 large strips of lemon zest peeled from the lemon.
- Bring to a simmer & cook until reduced by about a half – don’t let the cream boil.
- Remove the zest strips and set cream aside.
- Heat a large frying pan and add the spinach, with the water still clinging to the leaves.
- Sprinkle with a dash of sugar and toss, cover and cook for 3 minutes. Uncover, toss and cook another few minutes until wilted and tender.
- Place spinach in a colander and remove excess water (press down with a wooden spoon). Add to the cream. Finely grate the remaining lemon zest and add to the spinach. Season with a dash of S/P and cook over medium for a few minutes until just heated. Serve immediately.
Recipe Source: Adapted from the Williams-Sonoma New Flavors for Vegetable Cookbook
Time: 15 minutes