My mom was in town recently & I was trying to come up with a new salad idea for our lunch in the sun. Thankfully, my favorite seafood purveyor, Vital Choice, had recently shipped me certified sustainable Alaskan Red King Crab Claws as a thank you for posting about their seafood (you are so welcome!). I was holding on to them for a special occasion and I thought this would be the perfect time to indulge. Thus, I created a traditional Cobb style salad but instead of diced ham and turkey, I used chopped King Crab. It was the perfect crisp salad to enjoy on a warm day on the porch. We ate huge plates of salad and had cool glasses of white wine to accompany. It had been a while since I’ve had crab, and the meat was so sweet and soft I loved the combination with the crunchy vegetables. Planning a beach trip anytime soon? Lake house trip? This would be a great salad for a crowd – you can easily double or triple and the presentation is pretty.
The pre-cooked claws from Vital Choice make it really easy to simply steam for a few minutes and then remove the meat for the salad. Ask your fishmonger for instructions on cooking when buying your crab claws since they come in different weights & some are pre-cooked. You’ll most likely want to steam or boil for about 10 minutes, cool under cold water, and remove the meat.
- 4 hearts romaine, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 2 large King Crab Claws, cooked and chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup yellow corn
- 1 cup red grapes slice in halves
- 1/2 cup red onion
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 medium broccoli head, chopped into bite-size pieces
- Crumbled feta
- 1 lemon
- Olive oil
- Prepare your crab (see above for suggestions). Let cool, crack, and remove meat. Chop into bite-size pieces and set aside.
2. Combine all the vegetables and the grapes in a large bowl. Add the crab. Toss to combine.
3. Feel free to add additional vegetables/fruits if you’d like. Squeeze the lemon into a bowl, remove seeds, and pour over the salad. Add Olive Oil and S/P as needed to season. Add crumbled feta or your cheese of choice. Toss. Taste and decide if you need more dressing, cheese, or seasoning.
Recipe source: Original
Time: 30 minutes