The picture here really doesn’t do this incredible recipe justice … these things are dangerously delicious! I used rock shrimp – if you can get your hand on those they are super sweet and mild. Both the shrimp and blue crab meat came from nearby Florida – try to always get your seafood from as local a region as possible and never imported shrimp if you can help it. If you live in the SE your blue crab will most likely come from Florida – Sam’s or Costco have very affordable blue crab meat. You’ll just need to have another recipe ready for the remaining meat … my crab cakes would work perfectly! See here for more information on sustainable seafood considerations.
This recipe makes a very large serving. If you have fewer people, simply half the recipe. These go great with cold beer – have a “beachy” dinner in winter with these and Red Stripe or Pacifico!
- 1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp (preferably local)
- 1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat, cleaned and picked over for shell
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 bunch scallions (green onions), sliced
- 1 bag tortilla chips
- 3 cups grated pepper Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced jalapenos
- 1 garlic clove
- Olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp and garlic. Season with a few teaspoons of cumin. Cook until shrimp are pink, about 3 minutes. If using large shrimp, cool and chop the shrimp.
- Combine cooked shrimp, crab, sour cream, and green onions in a large bowl.
- Spread tortilla chips on a foil-lined baking sheet. Top with shrimp mixture.
- Sprinkle with the cheese and top with jalapenos.
- Broil 5 to 6 inches from heat about 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve immediately.
Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 6-8 full servings; 12 appetizer servings
Recipe source: Passionfish restaurant, Virginia