This is a comfort-food sort of dish – something really filling for a Sunday night family dinner. The cream sauce is rich and flavorful and the baby bellas are a perfect tender mushroom for a cream sauce. Enjoy!
Whole meal suggestion: Serve with mashed potatoes and roasted green beans accompanied with a light Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc.
*I used an oven-proof skillet for this recipe, if you don’t have one you can always finish the chops on the stove rather than sticking in the oven to bake.
- Olive oil
- 1 pound baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped onions or shallots
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (e.g. Sauvignon Blanc)
- 1 cup chicken stock/broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Wondra Quick Mixing Flour
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp. water
- 4 6-7 oz center-cut pork chops
- All purpose flour
- 2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- Minced fresh basil
- Sauté onions, garlic, and mushrooms in 2 tbsp. of olive oil in a large skillet on medium high heat until the mushrooms are browned – about 10 minutes. Add the wine, increase the heat to high, and boil down until the liquid is reduced to almost a glaze, about 4 minutes. Add the chicken stock and boil until reduced by about two thirds. Add the cream and simmer several minutes until the sauce thickens a bit. Sprinkle about 2 tbsp. of the Wondra flour as you stir the sauce to get it the final thickening touch – this will turn the consistency into a thicker sauce but not quite a gravy.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Whisk an egg and 2 tbsp. of water in a shallow baking dish. Sprinkle both sides of pork chops with S/P. Dip chops into the flour, then egg mixture, then breadcrumbs, coating completely. Heat 3 tbsp. olive oil in a large (oven-proof) skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork chops and cook until brown, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer the chops to a pre-heated oven at 400°F for 5-8 more minutes until cooked through. Alternatively, keep chops on the stove, lower the heat to low, cover, and cook an additional 5 minutes until cooked through.
- Bring the sauce back to a simmer, add a generous amount of fresh basil and season with S/P. Spoon the sauce over the chops and enjoy!
Time: 45 minutes
Recipe source: Original