I make pasta a few times a month … there is just no way to pull me away from glorious carbs! I love to workout, but I often run into people that have totally eliminated carbs from their diets or do strange things like follow Paleo diets. Sorry … but one major reason I run is to be able to indulge (guilt free) in bowls of sweet pasta while dipping crusty pieces of bread into golden olive oil. Call me crazy, but I’ll never understand the fitness folk that workout nonstop and eat nothing but vegetables and chicken … boring! So, for all my carb-loving brothers and sisters … try this recipe, it’s fabulous!
*If you prefer pancetta to bacon, you can substitute that … probably about 1/2 lb. pancetta.
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 4 leeks (white & light green parts only), thinly sliced
- Coarse ground S/P
- 1 lb. Mezze Penne (short penne)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- Finely grated zest from one lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Set a large pot of salted water to boil. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium, until crisp, about 8 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 2 tbsp. fat from skillet.
- Add leeks, season with S/P, and cook, stirring often, until leeks are golden brown and tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package instructions. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, Parmesan, and lemon zest and juice. Whisk 1/4 cup pasta water into egg mixture.
- Drain pasta and immediately add to egg mixture. Add the leeks, bacon, and parsley. Season with S/P and stir to combine. Serve immediately.
Recipe Source: Martha Stewart Food Everyday
Time: ~30 minutes