A light main course with bright color and filling flavor! Given that I am usually cooking for two, I like to include quick and healthy recipes that are specifically for two people. Obviously you can easily double or triple the recipe for more people. The recipe calls for a chicken breast per person, just increase the amount of chicken you buy if you plan on making this for more than two or adjust based on how much chicken you want to include per person. This is my favorite way to cook chicken for salads, but you’ll need an iron-proof skillet. If you don’t have one, you can just transfer the chicken to a baking sheet to finish in the oven.
Being part of a working couple I know how tempting it is to go out to eat or pick up take-out after a long day! We try to eat at home during the week and “save” our eating out calories and money for the weekend. The majority of recipes on this site are suitable for week night cooking, so if one of your 2012 resolutions includes eating at home more often (the much healthier and thriftier choice!) you’ve come to the right place. 🙂
- Coarse S/P or steak seasoning
- Olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- Chopped fresh parsley
- 1 head leaf lettuce or romaine, rinsed, dried, and chopped
- 1 large apple, diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a large oven-proof skillet on medium-high. Season chicken with a generous amount of steak seasoning or S/P. Cook the chicken for about 2-3 minutes on each side until you get a golden brown sear on each side. Transfer to oven and cook until opaque throughout, about 5 minutes, depending on the thickness of the breasts.
- Meanwhile, prepare your dressing by combining the buttermilk, mayonnaise, vinegar, and parsley. Whisk together and season with S/P.
- Allow the chicken to cook slightly and slice. Arrange the lettuce and apples on plates and top with the sliced chicken. Drizzle with the dressing.
Recipe Source: Original
Time: 20 minutes