Chicken drumsticks and thighs are often overlooked pieces of chicken, but they make great, budget-friendly, meals. Most often I cook mine skinless so you cut down on the added fat, and what I like most is the meat is always tender and juicy – it’s really hard to get dried and bland chicken legs and thighs! This is a great meal for picky kids … they’ll love the crunchy coating and it goes great with mac and cheese 🙂
- 6 large chicken drumsticks (skinless)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup crushed cornflake crumbs
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp. melted butter
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle drumsticks with S/P.
- Combine the flour and cayenne, milk and egg (whisked together), and cornflakes and parsley in three separate shallow dishes. Dredge each drumstick in the flour, dip in the egg mixture, and coat with cornflakes. Arrange chicken on the baking sheet.
- Stir together the butter and lemon juice and drizzle over the chicken.
- Bake about 45 minutes until chicken is golden and cooked through (165 degrees).
Serves: 2-4 (you can easily adapt this for larger crowds by adding coating ingredients as needed)
Recipe source: Adapted from a Publix Greenwise recipe
Time: 1 hour