These are sweet, salty, crunchy, spicy … all wrapped into one delicious meal! Try these soon. I promise you will love them. And for my veg/vegan friends, I love these with tofu too … simply press and pan fry to the tofu in place of the chicken 🙂
Kung Pao Chicken Tacos
Recipe Type: Entree
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Easily substitute the chicken for tofu for a vegetarian version!
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 1 and 1/2 tsp cornstarch, divided
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. canola oil, divided
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. dark sesame oil
- 2 tsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. sambal oelek (fresh chile paste) *if you can’t find this, any Asian brand red chile paste will work
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 3 tbsp. coarsely chopped peanuts (dry roasted, unsalted)
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- Corn tortillas
- Scallions/green onions, red bell pepper slices, and lime wedges to serve
- Place chicken in a large ziplock bag. Add 1 tbsp. soy sauce and marinate at room temp for 30 minutes. Remove chicken and discard marinade. Place 1/4 cup cornstarch in a shallow dish. Sprinkle the chicken evenly with salt. Add the chicken to the cornstarch and toss to coat.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tbsp. canola oil to the pan and swirl to coat. In two batches, add the chicken and saute until brown, about 6 minutes. Turn to brown all sides. Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Add the remaining oil and cook the remaining batch.
- Combine remaining cornstarch, remaining 2 tbsp. soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, rice vinegar and chile paste in a microwave-safe dish, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Microwave at high for about 1 minute until slightly thick when stirred. Stir in garlic. Combine the soy sauce mixture, chicken, peanuts, and celery; toss to coat.
- Toast tortillas under the broiler until warm and place the chicken mixture inside. Top with scallions, red bell pepper, and fresh squeezed lime.
Serving size: 2 tacos Calories: 418 Fat: 19.1g Saturated fat: 2.5g Carbohydrates: 39.3g Sodium: 531mg Fiber: 4g Cholesterol: 86mg