Want a filling, flavorful dinner with homemade sauce in under 30 minutes?
And several cups of healthy, homemade sauce to freeze for future meals at home?
Okay … here you go!
How to: Quick Meat Sauce you can freeze
Recipe Type: Entree
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 pounds ground chuck
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 3 carrots, finely shredded or chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 (28 oz) cans whole peeled tomatoes, pureed in a blender
- 1 pound fresh or frozen gnocchi, cooked according to package (I like Gia Russa whole wheat fresh gnocchi)
- Grated Parmesan and fresh basil to top, optional
- In a large heavy pot, heat oil over high. Add the meat and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Once it begins to brown, about 5 minutes, add the onion, carrots, and garlic and continue to cook another 5 minutes. Season with S/P and add the pureed tomatoes. Bring to a rapid simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced, about 10 minutes. Taste and season with S/P if needed.
- Reserve enough meat sauce for your gnocchi and freeze the remainder in airtight containers once cool. To serve in the future, simply let defrost overnight in the fridge.
This recipe allows you to make a gnocchi dinner while preparing enough meat sauce to freeze. You can also just make the meat sauce to freeze and/or use over a different type of pasta.