So … do you love calamari, or does it give you the heebie-jeebies? Or do you only like it battered, fried, and dipped in marinara? If the latter two options apply to you … I apologize. 🙂
But, calamari is one of my go-to salad options. I like to have big salads occasionally for dinner, but I usually need something more than just vegetables. Seafood is one of my favorite options because it is easy to prepare, versatile, and light and healthy. I buy calamari from Vital Choice, so I know it is sustainable and it comes in super convenient freezer packs. If you’ve only had calamari breaded and fried, maybe you’re up for something a little different and much healthier?
- 1 head lettuce (any variety), washed and chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- Fresh cilantro, optional
- Olive oil
- 8 oz. calamari, rinsed, drained, and chopped to your desired size
- 2 tbsp. chili garlic sauce (a red chili sauce you can find in most grocers in the Asian section)
- Wash and prep your vegetables and prepare the plates with equal amounts salad.
- Heat a small pan over medium-high heat with a splash of olive oil. Once hot, add the calamari and cook for about 15 seconds per side. (DO NOT overcook – calamari cooks very quickly. You will basically see the flesh turn to a more opaque white, and it is done.) Once cooked, remove from heat and stir in the red chili sauce and season with S/P. Top each salad with a portion of the calamari.
- Add your favorite dressing if desired – I usually give it a splash of olive oil and red wine vinegar.