Aren’t these pretty? I am in love with the gold sprinkles I picked up at the grocery. Sparkles + Sprinkles = Awesome.
And these guys aren’t just pretty, they are seriously delicious … especially hot out of the oven with a good coating of sour cream glaze dripping down the side. Yum.
Now, you will need a doughnut pan to make these – I got two Wilson brand pans from Amazon for a very reasonable price and it was totally worth the purchase. I’m looking forward to many more doughnut recipes! However, you can also make the same recipe with muffins and I have included instructions for those with the doughnut recipe. This makes 1 dozen doughnuts and about 15 muffins.
If you try these, let me know what you think!
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 and 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 and 1/2 cups canned pumpkin (the kind with no flavoring or added spices)
- 1 and 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 and 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 and 3/4 cups + 2 tbsp. all purpose flour (unbleached)
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tbsp. sour cream
- 1/4 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease two standard doughnut pans. (You can also make these muffins if you prefer).
- Beat together the oil, eggs, sugar, pumpkin, spice, salt, and baking powder until smooth.
- Add the flour, stirring just until smooth.
- Fill the wells of the pan with 1/4 cup batter. (If making muffins, fill 3/4 full and should make about 15 muffins).
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of one comes out clean. If making muffins, bake 23-25 minutes.
- Remove the doughnuts from the oven and after a few minutes of cooling, remove and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Make the glaze by stirring together the confectioners’ sugar, sour cream, and lemon juice. It will seem like it is too dry at first, but keep stirring and it should come together just fine.