Taco salad is one of my favorite dishes and I’ve adapted the traditional recipe to make it a bit more “skinny.” Swap ground beef and sodium-laden spice packets with ground turkey and real spices and add a low-fat Greek yogurt based dressing … yum! Of course, you can also make this recipe with ground beef or buffalo if you prefer (just remember to drain excess fat after browning meat).
Recipe notes: You may be tempted to buy ground turkey breast, but I highly recommend regular ground turkey for better flavor and texture (it’s still low-fat). Also, I love Bush’s Cocina Latina beans, but have only found 30 oz. cans so I use half and store the rest in the fridge.
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 3 tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 (4 oz.) can tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can beans (any variety – undrained if not refried)
- Salad fixings – lettuce, tomato, scallions, cucumber, washed and chopped
- 1/2 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 tbsp. Ranch dressing mix
- Hot sauce, optional, to taste
- Fresh cilantro to top, optional
- Brown the ground turkey until cooked through. Add the chili powder, cumin, cayenne, tomato paste, salt, and beans. Stir to combine and let simmer for 10-15 minutes until thickened and seasoned throughout. If the mixture looks too thick, add a tbsp. or so of water at a time to reach the consistency you desire. Taste and add salt if needed.
- Meanwhile, wash and prep the salad and arrange on plates. Make the dressing by combining the yogurt, salsa, and ranch dressing mix. Add hot sauce to taste.
- Spoon the taco meat on to the salads and top with dressing.