Can you believe it’s February already? Seriously, I feel like this year is already flying by! It’s been a really good start to the year, but I wouldn’t mind a little Slowing Down. That’s what I love most about food – a good, slow meal makes you really focus on the present and all that is good. Or, maybe just sitting down and eating a beautiful, crunchy piece of chocolate goodness. Slow down and enjoy it. Yesterday I posted a chocolatey-Valentine’s inspired recipe and I’m keeping the theme going today.
I found this recipe during the holiday season on one of my favorite blogs and was instantly intrigued. Apparently it’s a pretty common form of holiday treat, but I had never tried it. I just know I love anything with a mix of textures and sweet/salty components. It has been a big hit each time I’ve made it and it lends itself well to Valentine’s inspired celebrations because you can go crazy decorating with all sorts of cute red and pink Valentine’s themed sprinkles. Enjoy and try not to eat it all in one sitting! 🙂
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup salted butter
- 1 sleeve Saltine crackers
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- About 2 cups chocolate chips
- Sprinkles to decorate, optional
- Cover a 9×13 baking dish with foil. Spray with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange the saltines in one layer in the pan, leaving a little bit of room between each cracker and set aside. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt the butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and let boil without stirring for three minutes. Pour the hot mixture over the crackers and bake for 5 minutes.
- Drop the peanut butter onto the hot cracker and toffee mixture, bake for another 1 minute to melt. Spread the peanut butter. Sprinkle with the chocolate chips and bake another minute just to melt. Spread the chocolate evenly and top with sprinkles.
- Freeze or chill for 1 hours or until set. Break into pieces for serving.