Burrr … there’s another winter storm here in Atlanta (and what seems to be the entire eastern half of the country). So, if you are also snowed-in and maybe getting a little stir-crazy like us – I’m sending you warm thoughts of steaming pasta and fragrant sauce. And chocolate chip cookies. I made those today and will have the recipe up shortly!
A lot of folks here in Georgia are without power and if you happen to be one, I wish you a warm and safe night (and power back soon!). I’m crossing my fingers we keep power tonight – the freezing rain/snow is falling like crazy. If, on the other hand, you are reading this from a warm, tropical climate – I’m extremely, EXTREMELY jealous. 🙂
- 1 cup bread crumbs (I used Gia Russa Whole Wheat Seasoned)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans of diced tomatoes (I used one plain and one with Italian herbs)
- 1 cup bottled roasted red peppers, drained
- 1 lb. penne pasta
- 1 bunch kale, washed, chopped, and tough stems discarded
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread the breadcrumbs, cheese, and 2 tbsp. oil in a shallow baking pan. If your breadcrumbs aren’t seasoned already, season with S/P. Toss and bake about 5 minutes until golden and crispy, stirring once or twice. Set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, process the tomatoes and roasted red peppers until smooth. If you have fresh herbs on hand, like basil or oregano, you may want to add some at this point for flavor. Taste and season with S/P as needed. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package instructions until al dente. Stir in the kale at the during the last few minutes of cooking. Drain and set aside.
- While the pasta cooks, heat the 1 tbsp. olive oil and the crushed red pepper in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook about 3 minutes until fragrant and softened. Add the tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the balsamic vinegar; reduce heat to low and keep warm.
- Plate the pasta and kale. Top with tomato sauce and toasted breadcrumbs. Serve immediately.