I love a colorful dish and this one is a beauty. I cook quite a bit of calamari because it is a healthy seafood option that I can easily buy sustainably certified (opt for Wild Pacific). It also is the world’s fastest cooking protein and I love a quick meal. Seriously, 1-3 minutes til done.
Calamari is low in mercury and fat, but high in protein and nutrients. They only reason to limit calamari is if you need to watch your cholesterol. And of course, if you batter and fry calamari (which is delicious) you no longer have a healthy seafood option.
This can be served with rice, polenta, pasta, or on its own. I personally like it with crusty toasted bread and a big salad. Also makes a great appetizer or tapas.
- 1 pound calamari
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 large red onion, minced
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- Fresh parsley or cilantro to top, optional
- Rinse the calamari and set aside. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Add the garlic, onion, and crush red pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes until fragrant. Season with S/P and add the tomatoes. Continue to cook another few minutes until heated throughout.
- Add the calamari and saute until the calamari are opaque and cooked through, no more than 3 minutes. Once they are white and puffed, remove from the heat because calamari can become tough very quickly!
- Serve immediately and top with fresh herbs.