Breakfast, lunch, or dinner … I love a recipe that works any time of the day. And even better, it’s done in under 20 minutes. If you’ve never tried leeks I highly recommend them. They look like giant green onions, but are much more mild than a traditional onion. They are extremely healthy, and if you don’t eat much in the garlic and onion family you should try these to still get some of the great nutritional benefits of this plant family.
You will need a skillet with a lid for this recipe – the steam from the cover will cook the eggs without flipping. Vegetarians can simply omit the bacon or substitute with a vegetarian option.
Bacon, Eggs, and Leeks
- 6 slices of bacon
- 4-6 large leeks, sliced, discard the soft dark green parts
- 4 eggs, cracked in individual bowls
- Chives, sliced – optional
- Cook 6 slices of bacon in a skillet until crisp. Remove from heat, drain on paper towels, and crumble; set aside.
- Saute the sliced leeks in the bacon fat until soft. Make 4 wells in the skillet and plop each egg into one of the wells. Cover and cook until just set, about 5 minutes. Top with the crumbled bacon and serve immediately; garnish with fresh chives if you desire.